The ‘Standing Stork Balance' challenge will test your balance. This is another tough one – good luck!
The purpose of this challenge is to test your whole body balance ability. There is no time limit for this. How long can you hold this position for?
You will need:
- A stopwatch or a phone to time you performing the challenge.
- A helper to time you (parent, sibling etc.).
- Appropriate clothing and footwear for the challenge.
- A non-slip surface to attempt the challenge.
How to attempt the challenge:
- Place your right foot against your left knee, or vice versa.
- Place your arms out to the side for greater balance.
- Rise up on to the toes of your standing leg.
- See how long you can balance for.
- REMEMBER what we do in gymnastics - pick a point to focus on (in front of you at eye level), stare hard at the point and this will aid your balance.
- Why not attempt the challenge on the other leg?
- Can anyone in your household beat you?
- Why not play again and improve your score? For this challenge you will find that you will get better and better the more you do it. PERSEVERANCE is needed.
Make this challenge easier by balancing on a flat foot and/or placing your foot lower down on the standing leg (mid calve).
Make this challenge harder by closing your eyes to balance and/or placing your foot higher up on the standing leg.
The clips below show pupils attempting the ‘Standing Stork’ challenge in school.
Can you beat them? Remember to persevere with this challenge. Good luck!