Challenge 5 – The ‘Shark Scissor’ Challenge
The ‘Shark Scissor' challenge will test your core body strength. This is a tough one – good luck!
You have 30 seconds to do as many shark scissors as possible. You must remain on the floor on your back throughout the challenge. How many shark scissors can you do in 30 seconds?
You will need:
- A stopwatch or a phone to time you performing the challenge.
- A helper to time you (parent, sibling etc.).
- Appropriate clothing and footwear for the challenge.
- Space to lay on the floor and perform the challenge.
How to play:
- Lay on the floor on your back, while keeping your legs straight.
- Your back will remain in contact with the floor throughout the challenge. (Try not to arch your back.)
- Your arms remain either side of your body.
- Lift your feet about 15cm-20cm off the floor.
- Open your legs until your feet are at least shoulder width apart and bring your feet back together. Remember to keep your legs straight. This is one repetition of the challenge – one shark scissor.
- This challenge is not about all about speed but quality of movement. It will be tough on your core.
- How many shark scissors can you manage in 30 seconds?
- Can anyone in your household beat you?
- Why not play again and improve your score?
Make this challenge easier by reducing the time to 15 seconds.
Make this challenge harder by increasing the time to 40 seconds.
The clips below show pupils attempting the ‘Shark Scissor’ challenge in school.
Can you beat them? Good luck!
Well done Ayan and Riley! That was a tough challenge. Great work and perseverance!