Tuesday 14th July
Monday 13th July
Friday 10th July
1. a Frond – the leaf or leaflike part of a palm, fern or similar plant.
b Intently – with eager and earnest attention
3. Father and son
5. It says that it was “ a long while later that Alfie first heard it” so they must have been
there for a long while.
6. The sounds were coming from the old Pest House or the great rock in the middle of
7. He thinks that someone is there, he doesn’t feel comfortable about it so whispers so
that they won’t be able to hear.
Wednesday 8th July
1. To ring, or to make or be filled with a deep full reverberating sound.
A religious or solemn ceremony with a series of actions performed in a certain order
4. To bring him luck
5. Untidy – all his clothes are on the bedroom floor, his shirt is still buttoned up from the night before, there are piles of comics and magazines
6. A half empty box of Tic Tacs, a tatty exercise book and a couple of biros.
7. How to run and hide.
Answers for Tuesday 7th July
1. a) perpetual - never ending or changing or happening repeatedly; so often as to seem
endless and uninterrupted.
3. “enjoying the sun on her back” or “It was the perfect summer’s day.”
4. “Bursting with rage”
5. She didn’t want to see him. “she froze, mid-much”. She doesn’t like him. She calls him a
6. She finds magic difficult. It says “as usual, nothing happened.” This sounds like when she
tries magic, she can’t do it. She was “searching for a spark of magic.” It wasn’t something
that she could easily find inside herself.
7. She is caring because she tries to rescue the dormouse. She picks him up “gently” and
wraps him up in her hands. She “dashes” to get help as fast as possible.
Answers for Monday 6th July
1. Urged - try earnestly or persistently to persuade (someone) to do something.
Poised - having a composed and self-assured manner.
or - balanced or suspended
2. bread and butter
3. Suppertime, so late afternoon.
4. Set in the past, children today don't usually have a nursery or a nursery maid.
5. She is afraid. She is described as "shaking all over" and as having "fear in her heart." She might also be afraid of getting the sack.
6. Maybe Mouse is an orphan and if he dies, Uncle Scrope will inherit his fortune. Maybe he hates the boy or his parents. Maybe he is just evil!
7. To show how all the movement is attracting the boy and why he is reaching out and thinking about flying.
8. It makes Mouse seem very alive and alert. "bright brown eyes" whereas the Uncle's pale eyes make him seem faded and pale, almost ghostly.
9. Rich - there are servants in the house and the house must be huge if it has 4 floors.
Answers for Friday 3rd July
Answers for Wednesday 1st July
Answers for Tuesday 30th June
Answers for Wednesday 24th June
Answers for Tuesday 24th June
Answers for Monday 22nd June
Answers for Friday 19th June
Answers for Monday 15th June
4. It grows, but very slowly
5. Because some things look the same and don't appear to change because it happens so slowly.
6. Open ended.
Answers for Tuesday 9th June
Answers for Tuesday 2nd June
Answers for Monday 1st June